Book Expo America 2012 is coming up in June. I desperately want to attend, but I need your help.
Goodreads is sponsoring the Independent Book Blogger Awards. You vote for your favorite blog in several categories. Then, a panel of judges chooses from the top 15 vote-getters. The prize is a trip to Book Expo America in New York City in June.
Guess what? I entered my blog. And that’s why I need your help.
Simply put, I need your vote.
There are a number of reasons why I would love to attend Book Expo America.
Here they are, in no particular order.
1. I have never been to BEA before. I always read about it. I always dream of going. Last year, my grandfather was diagnosed with lung cancer in May. Within one week of his diagnosis, he was already under hospice care. He passed away June 8 of last year, so I was unable to attend the last BEA.
2. I have never been to New York City. Nope. Not ever. Always wanted to go to NYC. So much there to do and see. Your vote can help make my dream into a reality.
3. I have a PhD in American History, but it’s books I love and books I’m passionate about. I am trying to make a go in book reviewing. It’s my dream to one day work for Oprah Magazine, Elle, Vogue, or in the publishing industry. Your vote would give me the opportunity to get my foot in the door, as the saying goes.
4. Going to BEA would give me the chance to meet authors, both my favorites and new ones. If you know me or you know my blog, then you know how much I love to interview authors. Perhaps at BEA I could meet perspective blog interviewees.
5. Going to BEA would also give me the chance to meet publishers. This would mean I would get more advanced reading copies of books for review. There are so many books released each week. Sometimes it is difficult to keep track. There are many great novels that go unnoticed or unappreciated. I do not want that to happen. I could tell publishers what kinds of novels I like, and they, in turn, would suggest upcoming titles for me to read and review.
6. Going to BEA would also give me the chance to host giveaways on my blog. I have never done this before. I see others give ARCs and even signed books away all the time. Giveways are something I have considered. I would love to be able to give some things away on my blog and on Twitter.
7. Attending BEA 2012 would also allow me to meet other book bloggers/reviewers who are just like me (and maybe you). We could exchange ideas and contact information. It would be nice to do that!
8. I have thought recently about organizing a “One City, One Book” for my hometown of Laurel, Mississippi. I am sure you have heard of this idea–where everyone who wants to participate gets together and chooses a book to read. People get together throughout a designated month and discuss the novel. Perhaps, if my city chose a living author, we could even host the author for a book talk in person or through Skype. Your vote would help make this happen.
9. I am a book collector. Imagine all the signed books I could get at BEA! I’m salivating just thinking about my loot. I promise to get some signed for giveaways!
10. I am proud of my book reviews and author interviews. If nothing else, vote for someone who has put her heart and soul into her blog.
Please take the time and vote for my blog in the Independent Book Blogger Awards. My name is Jaime Boler and this is Bookmagnet’s Blog.
Thanks for reading! Voting closes Monday, April 23, at 11:59pm ET. Vote now.
Vote for this blog for the Independent Book Blogger Awards!